It's never felt so good to be coming home...

Day 38: July 22nd, 2011

Thirty eight days, six countries and numerous unforgettable moments later and I am on my way back home. Was it hard leaving the enchanting Paris this morning at 4:50am? A little, but it helped that my bus didn't show up, then I didn't have enough coins to buy my RER ticket out to the airport so I had to go about asking people for change...I guess Paris was trying to make the departure a little easier. Thanks, I appreciated it. This trip definitely had its rough times. What with language and cultural barriers, stomach issues and sibling love but each moment was worth it. I've learned that I can take care of myself on my own, that I can go abroad and only lose a pair of glasses (which are easily replaceable). I can get totally lost and find my way back home. It's a really wonderful feeling to be standing in the pouring rain with no idea where to go and just start walking in a direction hoping it's the right one. Granted, I'm pretty sure 60% walking was unnecessary/me going in circles but who cares? I had time to wander, I had TIME to sleep for 15 hours straight the first 3 nights in Paris that first week I had time to sit in a tapas restaurant and watch as people came and went. So, seeming as this will be my last post for this trip I will recap my favorite and least favorite things about each country I visited, starting with Paris.

Since Paris was the beginning of my journey, it had it easy for leaving a positive impression on me. All it had to be was European. Meaning; big, foreign and delicious. Like I mentioned in a previous post, having Barbara there made the transition into traveling life a little easier. Paris is gorgeous during the day and at night, it's walkable and very tourist friendly while still holding on to so much culture. You can't help but carry yourself with a hint of attitude while walking the streets, I mean....one has to keep up with the Parisians, right? The food was heavenly, no matter what we ate. I still remember that oyster and salmon ceviche and the first bite into the chocolate eclair. The bread is extraordinary, and if it wasn't for all the walking I'm pretty sure I would be returning 10lbs heavier in bread weight. The only real problem I had with Paris are the occasional person who just didn't want to help the lost foreigners, but even then that could happen in any city. So Paris, you get a solid 93% from me. I deducted points for the dirty streets, cold weather, and the damn transportation screwing me over this morning.

Onto San Sebastian. I never thought I could love a place as much as I love home, but I guess anything is possible. San Sebastian has it all; great people, beautiful surroundings and finger lickin' delicious food. Veal cheeks slow cooked in red wine? Yes please! 80 degree weather with the ocean feet away? Must you ask? Australian surfers inhabiting my hostel room? Welcome annnyyytime. I guess my only negative against San Sebastian is towards the pharmacy...when they told me they had a certain drug IN HOUSE when they didn't even know what I was talking about. But again, that's due to a language barrier so San Sebastian you get a 98%. (No place is perfect.)

Bilbao was juxtaposition of uncomfortable and totally enjoyable. This was where the language barrier was most frustrating. There was one evening where I sat for 3 hours with a bunch of teenagers having no idea what they were talking about, nor did I really care. It made me appreciate the gift of conversation. I longed for the chance to also talk about nothing but have someone completely understand me. I had some of my greatest moments in Bilbao too. One of the best meals I've ever had was at a popular tapas bar in downtown, I still remember every detail of that meal and hopefully I never forget. Having the opportunity to visit two bodegas while in the La Rioja region was fantastic and helped me appreciate the art and passion behind every bottle of wine produced in a family run bodega. The people in Bilbao, like San Sebastian were warm and friendly, it must be the Basque way.

Oh Barcelona, I wanted to love you way more than I did. Your food was enjoyable, the weather was pleasant, and the people were friendly. But for me, something extra was missing. Don't get me wrong, I loved La Boqueria, the fresh juices and random restaurants through out the market. And swimming in the ocean was refreshing, a nice break from the heat. Barcelona had all the components to be spectacular, but for me nothing jumped out and caught me. I floated through the city going to the important places and doing the touristy things, perhaps that was my mistake? Nonetheless, it was still in Spain and still very very enjoyable. I'll give Barcelona a strong 86% for reasons that are completely subjective.

'Georgia, Georgia/the whole day through/ just an old sweet song/keeps Georgia on my mind.' Well...my time spent out in good ol' Georgia was unforgettable if not for the fantastic views from the mountains, the unique food combinations and the unfortunate stomach issues all 9 days. The people were stubborn, proud, and unafraid to be who they are which was both a positive and a negative. I could say the best moment was making it to the damned cross on that mountain in Sveneti, or maybe seeing the waterfall in Lagodekhi. But, to be honest it was at the supra held for Tom at the bottom of the waterfall. I've never been prouder of my brother. He has made a difference in the world, big or small he's made a positive impact and it was very important to feel the gratitude of his coworkers. Translations weren't necessary, you could feel their appreciation. Georgia gets a 82% from me. Would I return? Maybe....depends on who I'm with. I'd never go back alone.

Holland was exactly what I needed after Georgia. The weather was cool, the atmosphere was open and relaxing and the food was easy on the stomach (except for the last meal...we'll get to that.)It was nice to hang out, sleep a little and mozie around the countryside. I loved the small neighborhoods and appropriately sized houses. They were simple, modern and cozy. Amsterdam was crowded, but I did stop by a local 'coffeeshop' and I have to admit they have the right idea. I preferred Rotterdam over Amsterdam. It was more open, and a lot less crowded which was a nice break after Tbilisi. As for the unfortunate last meal? Worst food problem goes to Amsterdam! Word to you all, don't eat ANY dutch pancake under the 'international' category...I know...probably my fault. That poor decision cost me 8 hours of pain. Good way to say good bye to the Netherlands.

Overall, my trip was just what I wanted. A little struggle, several moments of frustration but more than anything growth and loads of new experiences. Next time I probably won't travel around to so many places, I often left a place wishing I could spend more time there. But, for my first time in Europe, it was perfection. I got to enjoy the romance of Paris, the beauty of Spain, the culture of Georgia and the kindness of Holland. Oh, and those random little layovers in Latvia and this GRAND 8 hour layover in Iceland. I'm ready to be home, ready to hop off the plane and eat a large bowl of rare beef pho with meatballs. Seattle is an amazing city, one that I am so thankful to call my final destination on this once in a lifetime journey. I'll leave you with a photo and a quote.



"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mobile post

That was a long weekend...