Bodega Estraunza

First off, sorry for the numerous typos in the last post...there will probably be several in this post too...even if I attempt to edit it. The spanish keyboards are similar, but not the same and I don´t want to monopolize the computer because it´s not mine.

Anyways, I went to the Bodega Belezos and Bodega Estraunza. Before the bodegas though we made a pit stop at small town up in the hills of the Logrono region. Very old, where everyone knew everyone. I suppose here, under ground there are some very old bodegas? The translations were sort of getting lost, my translator was tired and no one else knew english so...I am guessing that was the situation. After that we continued onto Bodega Belezos. Both of the bodegas that I visited today are in the Rioja Alavesa region in Logrono. At work we sell the crianza of Belezos, but I had the opportunity to day to try one of their 2010 award winning bottles. Not sure exactly what it was, but I´m thinking it was at least a Reserva from out it tasted/felt in my mouth. It was oaky, smooth, medium (fuller for a tempranillo) bodied and smoky. With the right kind of hints of tobacco. It was truly a delicious wine. No, scratch that, it was an amazing wine. I was shown around where the wine process starts in the large metal containers, and was also shown the barrels that were aging their crianzas. The space wasn´t huge, in fact it was a lot smaller than I had assumed it was going to be.

After that we went to Bodegaga Estraunza, the winery of Netxu´s father´s family. It was rather impressive, considerably bigger than Bodega Belezos. I took pictures, expect them on Friday. I tried a white, which was surprisingly light and crisp. I guess for some reason I always assume white riojas are going to be heavy. Anyways, I also got to try a joven (not aged in oak barrels) right out of the metal containers. So fruity and...rambunctious? I don´t know how else to describe it. Not wild in a bad way, but since it hasn´t been aged yet in the oak the flavors aren´t rounded out. After migrating around the bodega for awhile we went to lunch at a nearby restaurant. We enjoyed pickled leeks with wine drizzled over them and then garlic and green beens communally. Then as my main dish I had rabbit that had been slow cooked on the bone in a creamy sort of stew. The cuter the animal the more delicious it´s gonna taste, and bunnies are very very adorable.

I saw the the Bodega Marques De Riscal, which was designed by the same person who designed the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Definitely a funky place (again, photos on Friday). These aren´t huge opperations, owned by giant corporations mass producing mediocre wine. These are family owned business, founded on a passion for sharing something they love. It was a gift to be able to visit this area and to see where some world class wines are being produced.

It´s getting late here, and I heard rumor of heading out...so I am going to go. I probably won´t post tomorrow, but Friday there should be a post with numerous pictures and limited words, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mobile post

It's never felt so good to be coming home...

That was a long weekend...