Three days into Paris...
Alright, I've decided to attempt a blog...we'll see how well this goes. I've already been in Paris for three days and have fallen in love with this delicious city. Barbara and I have devoured almost half a pound of butter just at home, along with two containers of goat cheese and several packages of jambon. Look at me, throwing in random french words...it's probably a good thing none of you are witnessing me butcher this rather lovely language. Anyways...I guess I'll post photos/comment on what we're doing/say something sarcastic/witty and then move onto another picture...it'll be the easiest way to keep my attention and yours too I am guessing.
Here we go!
Here we go!
Day 1: Wednesday June 15th, 2011
This was the first thing Barbara and I ate in Paris. We went on a hunt for the nearby grocery store called 'Monoprix' and bought a six pack of white kinder bueno bars, wine, tomatoes, goat cheese, butter (of course) and jambon and salami. On the way back to our apartment we stopped at a bakery and bought 2 baguettes. I'm not sure what the french have figured out that our average American bakers haven't...but even the random bakery baguettes are delicious. Then again..any sort of carb smothered in butter and goat cheese and then topped with cured meat is going to taste pretty damn good.Day 2: Thursday June 16th, 2011

"Some day I'll Fly..."

"Some day I'll Fly..."
Thanks to the wonderful concept of jet lag and being way off my sleep schedule I decided to take a little walk around our neighborhood at 4:30am. I love being up at this time, either waking up this early or staying up this late...there's something so beautiful about a city when it's lit by the early morning. I found a few treasures on my little adventure, including this Winnie the Pooh hat begging to be captured in the early morning light.

"Architecture is visual art, and the buildings speak for themselves."

"Architecture is visual art, and the buildings speak for themselves."
Going back to sleep wasn't exactly an option, even if I had woken up at 4am. So, after hunting down another bakery and grabbing a jambon quiche and pain au chocolate we headed off towards the Louvre via metro. Yes, I was that paranoid looking tourist who was hugging their backpack and watching anyone that moved as if they were attempting to steal everything on me including my shoes...better to be aware than oblivious, right? Anyways, we made it to the Louvre and wandered around a bit. Don't worry, there will be a pretty picture of that ginormous museum later to come. The fence in this photo though was beautiful. Cluttered with locks of all sorts...pad locks of different colors all with scribbles of love, loss and identity.

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing."

"Good Americans, when they die, move to Paris."
Made it to the Eiffel Tower eventually...decided to hold off on venturing up until another night. I can't explain how beautiful this structure is in person. All I can say is go to Paris and visit the Eiffel Tower...it's worth it.


"Eating rice cakes is like chewing on a foam coffee cup, only less filling."

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing."
On the way to the Eiffel Tower we came across these wonderful statues in front of Musee D'Orsay...how can you not chuckle a little? Anyways, I feel it gave this historic city a light playful mood as we headed to one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world.

"Good Americans, when they die, move to Paris."
Made it to the Eiffel Tower eventually...decided to hold off on venturing up until another night. I can't explain how beautiful this structure is in person. All I can say is go to Paris and visit the Eiffel Tower...it's worth it.


"Eating rice cakes is like chewing on a foam coffee cup, only less filling."
FINALLY! More food! So, obviously we had started to get hungry from all this gallivanting around so we decided to duck into the neighborhood around the tower and try to find a small place to get some eats. We stopped to look at this one place called "Cafe Constant" which turned out to be delicious. A lovely couple sitting outside enjoying the 3 course lunch menu talked us into grabbing a table and told us we wouldn't be disappointed. In fact, this was their fourth time eating there in the last week. For a reasonable 16E I got a well executed salmon and oyster tartare that fed my Pacific Northwest desire for seafood. My other dish was this surprising poultry pie. Do I know exactly what it was? No. Do you need to know anything other than it was delicious? Nope. Well then moving on. Remember that 'lovely couple' that was sitting outside? They decided to buy us a small carafe of Rose to go along with our meal, which was refreshing and pleasant. Who can say no to free rose? Barbara got the deviled eggs, which honestly looked like the second best deviled eggs I've seen in my food eating memory. After our meal we decided to wander back to the Louvre via the river, then head home to the Bastille Quarter on the metro. OH! How can I forget to mention the HORRENDOUS milkshake my dear pal Barbara got while in a near by cafe close to the Louvre? Oh well...the bathroom was worth it supposedly. hah.

Ah, Mara! Reading this was more fun for me than watching Julie & Julia! Thank you for taking time to share your epicurean adventures in Paris. I'm left wondering if the French might have as many words for 'cheese' as the Eskimos have for 'snow'?
ReplyDeleteLove, Krista