Sun+txakoli=one red faced asian

Day 9: June 23, 2011



"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

The morning started off cloudy again but the sun finally broke through. Laid on the beach for a few hours sans sunscreen (don't worry parents, I bought some on my way back to the hostel this afternoon so I'll have it for the rest of the trip). Even with the clouds the temperature was quite nice, and if I hadn't been so comfortable just laying on the golden sand reading then I probably would have jumped into the jade blue water. I arrived at the beach around 10:30, after stopping at another random pintxo bar for breakfast. There were a surprising number of people already out, and many surfers were sitting patiently on their boards waiting for that perfect swell. Do people here work? If so...how do I get a job where I can be on the beach at 10:30am on a Wednesday? It was difficult to concentrate on my book, so I soon gave up and just laid back and enjoyed the situation. After a few hours I decided it was time to get out of the sun and do some more wandering around. I went hunting for another well known pintxo bar, but unfortunately it was closed (didn't open up until later) so I ended up taking the long way back, making sure I went down any street that interested me in the slightest.




"Food is our common ground, a universal experience."

I went back to La Cuchara and had three different dishes. On the very top is a veal cheek in a red wine sauce sitting in a white bean puree. The dish in the middle is a piece of bacalao (salt cod) sitting on top potatoes confit. And the third is iberico pork, (iberico pigs eat a diet of acorns). I wish I could have eaten 10 times the amount I had, just so I could have that blissful moment of having any of these three dishes touch my tongue. Each was delicious. It's indescribable. I want to share the experience with you, but I can't. This place might be my favorite place I've ever dined, simply because every aspect works. The bartenders are kind, the food doesn't take longer than 3-4 minutes, and it's all executed with out flaws. It's so damn delicious.


That's it for now...the internet is cutting in and out every 3 minutes so I'm going to end this post on a good note, i.e the food. I'll write more tomorrow, after my trip to the spa. That's right, spa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mobile post

It's never felt so good to be coming home...

That was a long weekend...